logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
The Shadow  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2014 08:31:20(UTC)
The Shadow

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Just like to say how good was it to hear thieves like us live. It was a great night with a good atmosphere. Other highlights was pottsy on vocals for sooner than you think, broken promise, love vigilantes, face up, BLT and of course a rousing Temptation at the end.They were a few I can pick out off the top of my head, and it will get better the more they play this era of new order. Like the way they changed it about on stage, without hooky for murder, hooky on his own for elegia, Pottsy taking the vocals as already mentioned. Great night, aching limbs today though! Just wish the bitching over the current new order and bernard would stop now. Saw a lot of people who were at Bernard's book signing also at The Light gig. The fans love both hooky and bernard, bout time they buried the hatchet and just be glad of the great music they made together.

Great t shirts on sale, hooky puts in a lot of thought and energy into everything and The Light is always a top night out.
thanks 3 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/09/2014(UTC), Andy on 26/09/2014(UTC), FuneralAddict on 26/09/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
PeterHookAndTheLight  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2014 16:01:34(UTC)
PeterHookAndTheLight

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 78 post(s)
nice one mate!
thanks 1 user thanked PeterHookAndTheLight for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/09/2014(UTC)
FuneralAddict  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2014 17:34:13(UTC)
FuneralAddict

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thoroughly enjoyable, very good sound as usual at the Ritz.

Bloody hot in there!
thanks 1 user thanked FuneralAddict for this useful post.
markreed  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2014 15:44:59(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Shepards Bush was very good, with minor changes, being Let's Go instead of Murder, and Shellshock instead of State Of The Nation. Minor comments :

Pottsy should sing more songs and his vocals be louder : Hooks deep registers did not sound right as he sings quite a bit lower than BS on The Perfect Kiss and Thieves Like Us. Pottsy sounded very good on stuff like "Sooner Than You Think", "Perfect Kiss", etc.

The instrumental Let's Go sounded a bit naked after getting used to the two vocal versions (the 1984 demo and the 1994 redo). I know the instrmental is the showcase and the 'official' New Order mix, but,

I noticed two guitar lines in As It Is... is one of them pre-recorded?

Still not used to acoustic drums on BLT.

Shellshock was lacking a bit in guitars and drums - sounded a bit weedy really, considering how big the original track is.

I thinka couple of verses got mixed up, but not a surprise when it's only the third live performance of 20 of the songs.

Overall the sound - guitars, vocals particularly - last night was a little quiet. Cracking gig though.

thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
surface  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2014 01:49:04(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Some good footage here, got to say he/they have done a great job of replicating the songs and its great to hear them played again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZxDiHqzsc
thanks 1 user thanked surface for this useful post.
PeterHookAndTheLight  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2014 08:27:37(UTC)
PeterHookAndTheLight

Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post

Nope

surface  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2014 11:11:59(UTC)
surface

Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post

Nope

Has all the sequencing etc been re done from scratch, or did your dad still have the originals Jack?

PeterHookAndTheLight  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2014 14:47:55(UTC)
PeterHookAndTheLight

All done from scratch..... We had some original stuff but they weren't up to scratch. They sound so powerful now. A great job all round.

Edited by user 28 September 2014 14:48:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2014(UTC)
tapebias  
#9 Posted : 29 September 2014 11:09:03(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Good shout getting Pottsy on vocals.

Marks off for not recreating the period look of the times though - shorts/vests, yachting shoes and blond highlights would have done the trick.
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
markreed  
#10 Posted : 29 September 2014 12:22:09(UTC)
markreed

Now that every song off Substance has been played... is the next one a "Substance & Technique" tour?

Edited by user 29 September 2014 12:28:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

surface  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2014 00:15:40(UTC)
surface

Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post
All done from scratch..... We had some original stuff but they weren't up to scratch. They sound so powerful now. A great job all round.

They sound brilliant - how do you go about recreating something from that long ago.
Aracri  
#12 Posted : 30 September 2014 05:07:31(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Cannot wait for the gig in São Paulo on October 31. To me "Sunrise" is the most expected song. Never seen that on stage before with New Order, unfortunately (except in video).
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/10/2014(UTC)
NightOperations  
#13 Posted : 07 October 2014 04:23:52(UTC)
NightOperations

Man

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Absolutely BRILLIANT gig - The Light seem to sound better every time I go and see them.

Being in a great venue also helped.. the JD tracks sounded better than ever, and they really nailed Low-life and Brotherhood.
Would definitely go and see them perform this set again.

I will wait for the cheque in the post.. Big Grin
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked NightOperations for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/10/2014(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2014 23:12:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Now that every song off Substance has been played... is the next one a "Substance & Technique" tour?

Yeah, as another forumer said, the album approach kinda falls apart from now on... Who knows?
Substance (already played, albeit not in order - in a new order, see what I did there?) and Technique (yay).
Peel Sessions (not a Fac release, plus it's been played too) and One True Passion (yuk).
BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert (another iffy release) and Republic (hmmmmmmmmm).
Best Of (essentially a London cash-in, given they weren't even talking to each other, let alone recording together) and Rest Of (eurgh).
Video 586? Yawn.
Point is, the Light have yet to do a duff gig, so I'm curious to see their next move...
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2014(UTC)
markreed  
#15 Posted : 11 October 2014 23:36:05(UTC)
markreed

so...

"Substance & Technique" might shift a few tickets. "One True Passion & Republic" might struggle... Shame, as I'd love to see anything off OTP performed live, and the vocals will sound more accurate. When it gets to "Music For Pleasure & Monaco", willthe band call themselves Monaco?
The Shadow  
#16 Posted : 12 October 2014 11:30:10(UTC)
The Shadow

Substance followed by technique would be a great night. I don't think it matters all the substance tracks have already been played. Let's face it the tracks are more than good enough to hear hooky do them again. Republic and technique would not work together as you would have the sublime technique followed by republic which would be a bit of a come down. Republic would be better followed by Get Ready. The Technique album needs to end the night.... I can't see the sense in me leaving all I need is your love to believe in

Edited by user 12 October 2014 11:31:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Debaser  
#17 Posted : 13 October 2014 02:23:27(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
Republic and technique would not work together as you would have the sublime technique followed by republic which would be a bit of a come down. Republic would be better followed by Get Ready. The Technique album needs to end the night....

Well it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to start with Republic and then do Technique would it? Would anyone really complain if they were played the 'wrong' way round in one gig?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2014(UTC)
Debaser  
#18 Posted : 13 October 2014 03:48:13(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
I can't see too many comments about the Shepherds Bush Empire gig, although I imagine some of you must have been at it.
My thoughts: Great to hear the two albums played live in full (natch), though looking around there seemed to be a few 'casuals' there who weren't familiar with all the tracks.

I didn't catch the JD set as I was rushing back from a united game at Old Trafford, so can only comment on the NO stuff.

It may be easier to mostly mention the bits I think could have been better rather than all the stuff I liked - that might take too long. So I'd like to stress before the critical comments come that I did enjoy this gig overall.
My first issue was the sound which seemed a bit wishy washy in places. Having seen the Light at Islington Academy, Koko and the Coronet previously, I thought the overall sound was inferior to those gigs.

So I don't know if it was down to the venue or the band/mixing guy, but I thought the synths on Thieves Like Us didn't surge through me as much as I would have liked. Mind you I have had the same issue before re: Your Silent Face with both NO and Hooky: the sequenced bits sound fine but the big 'organ' chords don't surge through you like they do on the record.

Elegia could have been longer, but I guess there's the concern that the crowd will start talking or get restless...
Face Up is worth a mention as it was a particular 'album' highlight that I hadn't witnessed live before. Great to hear the crowd singing along to this one. I've never been crazy about the way it ends on the record, with Barney's voice going particularly out of tune as it fades out; I prefer the live ending. I'm not a big fan of fade-outs in general anyway.

From Brotherhood, Angel Dust sounded particularly good, though I can't help thinking that the band must have sampled a little bit of the record to get those unique vocal sounds at the start. Perhaps Jack will refute this though...
BLT: hmm, well we had Pottsy there and I think he should have been used for the verses on this. Hooky's voice really struggled here, and maybe he could have just come in on the chorus. Also I thought the melodic synth line wasn't loud enough during the verses.
All Day Long is a particular favourite of mine so I was thrilled to hear it live. However the "Wagner strings" part didn't shine enough for me.

During the encores we got Shellshock where Manchester had State of The Nation. Which is fine by me. It didn't overstay it's welcome and the chorus is of course immensely singable.
Confusion by contrast was danceable, and I think if the volume had just been a little louder there would have been even more dancing.
True Faith was...True Faith, and then Hooky cheated a bit by throwing in Temptation for a rousing finale. By the end of this one, even the cloakroom girl was jumping.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/12/2015(UTC)
The Shadow  
#19 Posted : 13 October 2014 13:01:11(UTC)
The Shadow

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
Republic and technique would not work together as you would have the sublime technique followed by republic which would be a bit of a come down. Republic would be better followed by Get Ready. The Technique album needs to end the night....

Well it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to start with Republic and then do Technique would it? Would anyone really complain if they were played the 'wrong' way round in one gig?

Not sure if the night would turn into day again if this happens. It could seriously upset the balance of life. But maybe and it's only a maybe it may just work.
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Debaser on 14/10/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/02/2015(UTC)