logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 01/06/4753 02:38:22(UTC) Making Out  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2014 14:34:32(UTC)
Making Out

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 31 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Making Out for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2014 01:53:10(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Yeah i saw that doc some years ago and probably once or even twice since when it has been repeated.Good documentary and was a pleasant and slightly startling surprise the BBC chose to show one of the Classic Album doc's on something that wasn't the usual tired and predictable stuff like Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac albums yawn.Though the BBC won't get my full forgiveness until they do one of the classic album documentaries on Unknown Pleasures or Technique.Hard to imagine that happening anytime soon though, eh?

Kind of loosely followed the Primals career since Velocity Girl in 1986 though i only learnt upon his death last week that Throb had sung Slip Inside This House off Screamadelica (just watched the doc again and it is actually said it's Throb but had still not grasped that on previous viewing, doh) . Listened to that song the other day and it's quite obvious it's not Bobby Gillespie singing but somehow this had always escaped my attention.Guess i was always on such a (natural ) high when listening to the album that i was oblivious to who was singing on that tune.Kind of regret never seeing Primal Scream live circa their Screamadelica era or indeed any time since.Only time i saw them live was when they supported New Order at Wembley Arena in 1987 and i don't remember anything about their performance apart from Gillespie falling off stage.

RIP Throb

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnkjvECEQr4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by user 15 September 2014 10:39:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Bill  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2014 01:56:05(UTC)
Bill

Man

Oh the YouTube thing is having one of it's contrary days again even though i've correctly followed the procedure.I must being doing it right because it worked the other day. But not today it seems.Oh well.Anyway, it was the video to Movin' On Up.
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2014 10:14:19(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Yep we gave this a little mention on the Death Poll thread last week. It has truly saddened me. I didn't know who Ian Curtis was when he died, but I remember when John Lennon died and this has hit me as hard as that did.

Caught the Primals on their original Screamadelica tour I think around Feb 1992, and caught them again (sans Throb) doing their 20th anniversary gigs of the same album at London Olympia a couple of years ago (slightly larger gig. ahem). That made me feel old! Also caught them a bunch of times in between. I've lost count how many but definitely in double figures. BTW XTRMNTR may not be as easy a listen but it's every bit as rewarding if you stick with it. I think Mani said they should have won the Mercury for that as well as their win for Screamadelica. No argument from me. Oh and Bernard's on it.

Is this what you were trying to embed?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2014 10:19:10(UTC)
Debaser

Evil Heat's a pretty fuckin fantastic album too.

Bill  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2014 10:59:32(UTC)
Bill

Man

Yeah i bought XTRMNTR the week it was released in early 2000 and was big fan of (most) of the album. Some of the songs were and still are hard to get into but Swastika Eyes,Accelerator, Exterminator, Keep Your Dreams and Shoot Speed/Kill Light are great. There's that great clip of them doing Swastika Eyes on Jools Holland from back then which still sticks in the memory. Not that familiar with Evil Heat even though i have it on CD but Autobahn 66 which you posted, Debaser, is a favourite of mine.

Yes it was that Movin On Up video i was trying to embed but thanks for succeeding in doing it.

Debaser  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2014 04:24:11(UTC)
Debaser

Well Bill it looks as though you've deleted your post about the time you bought Loaded on 12"...

This non-music forum post may give a hint as to what did for Mr Young. Though I don't think there's been any confirmation.
I will admit there that there have been times in the past when I've been amazed that all of Primal Scream were still alive.
Bluelight

I would have expected it to be heroin rather than booze mind you.
I'm pretty sure he was indeed broke, as he sold off some of his old gig posters and a little collection of 7" singles a few months ago.
Auction

And here's a little appreciation from The Guardian
Rocking Moments
Bill  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2014 11:48:08(UTC)
Bill

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Well Bill it looks as though you've deleted your post about the time you bought Loaded on 12"...

Ha ha! Yeah i was half cut after the pub when i posted it but read it back later and it was a bit of a (over long) non story really

Edited by user 20 September 2014 11:49:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2014 12:49:25(UTC)
Debaser

From another website: Pink Fish Media

Quote:
I went to Throb's funeral in Hove yesterday. The 200 people attending the service mourned his early death by celebrating his life and work.

They were greeted by a Scottish piper and some of the wreaths were fantastic, especially the Screamadelica and STP ones.

During the service, Throb's wife Rachel gave a moving speech. Bobby Gillespie and Andrew Innes from Primal Scream recalled how they first met Throb and started the band. Both Rachel and Andrew acknowledged that Throb's death was due to the fact that he couldn't get free from his alcoholism/addiction.

The priest bought along a Les Paul style guitar for the sermon. He said that although he didn't personally know Throb, he had learned the riff to 'Rocks' when he was at college in the '90s.

'Moving On Up' was played during the service and it ended with the coffin being carried out to the sound of Joy Division's 'Atmosphere.'

Throb's family drove off to the cremation, followed by a biker flying a Saltire flag, to a round of applause.

Former manager, Alex Nightingale, got Brighton Council to lay on a bus with Robert 'Throb' Young stenciled onto the front of it. It took us to the View venue on the beach for a drink, something to eat, and to celebrate Throb's life. Annie Nightingale and Andrew Weatherall were among the DJs.

Throb had a great sense of humour and was a very cool guitarist. It is a real shame that he has gone at the age of 49. Why some rock 'n rollers mange to get clean and sober, and others don't, will always remain a mystery.

Oh incidentally the former manager of the Primals, Alex Nightingale mentioned above, is Annie Nightingale's son.
ROCKET MICK on 16/10/2014(UTC)
Bill  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2014 12:32:01(UTC)
Bill

Man

Sounds like the man had a fitting send off.RIP Throb.
ROCKET MICK on 18/10/2014(UTC)