logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#26 Posted : 21 April 2014 09:28:52(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
Hands up who got one of these on Saturday.
I think they should change the name of the day to Record Store Morning, as most of the good shit is usually gone by 10am.

On the plus side, I caught several "artistes" live for free. Toy at Rough Trade East who I'd seen before and was happy to catch again. They have a nice line in psychedelic wig-out indie rock, with a hint of electro rock thrown in. Then Edwin Collins at Rough Trade West, outside their window, literally on the street; no stage. When he mentioned that Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) was among the crowd I turned to my mate and said "where?". It turned out he was right beside us and probably heard me, so I tried to play it cool after that. Then finally Ruts DC (formerly The Ruts) on Berwick Street for a bit of Staring At The Rude Boys. Their reggae stuff was surprisingly enjoyable too.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/09/2014(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#27 Posted : 21 April 2014 12:28:18(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I grabbed a copy. Shocked they had it at my little store outside the state capital of Pennsylvania. He actually has 2 copies left...

Also bagged the Tears for Fears ep and the Bowie "1984" 45. Wanted The Cure/Dinosaur Jr. Split 7" of Just Like Heaven, but alas it was gone by the time I visited the store. 45 minutes after opening.

As for the touts, the gentlemen, if you wish to call him that, that grabbed the only copy of REM Unplugged at our store, was heard stating outside the store that it would be on Ebay in the hour, which led to the store owner taking his photo and claiming he would keep it behind the counter for next year and bar the guy from the store. Now, that is some funny shit.
Michael Monkhouse  
#28 Posted : 22 April 2014 05:57:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
What a bargain.
fac51  
#29 Posted : 22 April 2014 07:32:08(UTC)
fac51

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
Hands up who got one of these on Saturday.
I think they should change the name of the day to Record Store Morning, as most of the good shit is usually gone by 10am.

On the plus side, I caught several "artistes" live for free. Toy at Rough Trade East who I'd seen before and was happy to catch again. They have a nice line in psychedelic wig-out indie rock, with a hint of electro rock thrown in. Then Edwin Collins at Rough Trade West, outside their window, literally on the street; no stage. When he mentioned that Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) was among the crowd I turned to my mate and said "where?". It turned out he was right beside us and probably heard me, so I tried to play it cool after that. Then finally Ruts DC (formerly The Ruts) on Berwick Street for a bit of Staring At The Rude Boys. Their reggae stuff was surprisingly enjoyable too.

I got one, but missed the Bowie. Also in my nabbed LCD Soundsystem, CHVRCHES & The The. Ouch! That hurt my wallet.

-Steve
DJFairborne77  
#30 Posted : 22 April 2014 07:53:05(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have no independent record shops anywhere near I live, so I had no chance to get hold of any "Record Store Day" stuff. Oh well...

Anyway, it looks like Paul Weller's had enough of it now!

http://www.nme.com/news/paul-weller/76848
thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2022(UTC)
NotAMod  
#31 Posted : 22 April 2014 09:02:04(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I had no problems picking up a copy on Saturday morning but had to queue from about 7am 'til 9am and was around 17th in line at the store I ended up at (Sounds Of The Universe in Soho). Kept thinking "I must be mad" while waiting in the freezing sunshine but it is admittedly a cool reissue to have and a nice addition to the old collection. I also picked up Neon Neon's "Years Of Lead EP" and Pet Shop Boys "Fluorescent" 12". The PSB one seems to be a real tout favourite on Ebay at the moment with copies fetching up to £90 (naughty) I think it's the most limited out of what I bought at 1,000 copies.

With regards to the Joy Division AIFL reissue there seems to be two different pressings floating around; one European and one American. The Rhino web site lists the quantity as 13,500 (hardly limited) but I'm not sure if this is worldwide or just the US pressing. I've read elsewhere the Euro pressing is limited to 1,500 copies so maybe take that off the 13.5k figure and you've got the American allocation. Easiest way to tell which pressing you have is by checking the matrix/run-outs on your vinyl to the entries on Discogs. For those who missed out on a copy, knowing there are 13,500 copies out there means you probably will be able to pick up a resell for a reasonable price... eventually. Just wait a little bit for the tout madness to die down.

With regards to the Weller article and touting in general; it's definitely not something new and is a downside which has plagued RSD from the off. Disappointing to see nobody "behind the idea" has admitted as much either. By all means release special records in order to raise awareness for indie shops but don't limit the quantities so frigging much. It's no skin off the record label's nose to manufacture twice the amount which they will almost definitely sell providing the price is reasonable. Ironically this year they probably did manufacture enough of the JD one.

It's easy to attack the touts and I don't condone what they do either (especially with gig tickets) but slagging them is a bit pointless. The music industry in general needs to modify the system which delivers the goods as they ultimately enable what touts do. I'm not saying I've got a perfect answer but there's got to be something that can be done to make it a bit more difficult for people to take advantage and fleece genuine music fans.

Edited by user 22 April 2014 09:24:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#32 Posted : 22 April 2014 15:09:14(UTC)
Debaser

fac51 wrote:

I got one, but missed the Bowie. Also in my nabbed LCD Soundsystem, CHVRCHES & The The. Ouch! That hurt my wallet.

-Steve

That LCD thing looked nicely packaged but yeah I bet it hurt your wallet! And the music was all taken from the Shut Up And Play The Hits DVD which I already have, so I couldn't bring myself to buy that one.
Debaser  
#33 Posted : 22 April 2014 15:22:35(UTC)
Debaser

NotAMod wrote:
With regards to the Joy Division AIFL reissue there seems to be two different pressings floating around; one European and one American. The Rhino web site lists the quantity as 13,500 (hardly limited) but I'm not sure if this is worldwide or just the US pressing. I've read elsewhere the Euro pressing is limited to 1,500 copies so maybe take that off the 13.5k figure and you've got the American allocation. Easiest way to tell which pressing you have is by checking the matrix/run-outs on your vinyl to the entries on Discogs. For those who missed out on a copy, knowing there are 13,500 copies out there means you probably will be able to pick up a resell for a reasonable price... eventually. Just wait a little bit for the tout madness to die down.

I get the impression it was 1500 for the uk, 7500 for the US and 4500 for the rest of the world. So yeah hopefully that should mean the re-sell price won't go as silly as it has for the Ceremony thing.