logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZASmusic  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2013 09:07:29(UTC)
ZASmusic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I was watching some footage of the Pro Shot New Order concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom here in NYC in 2005.

Does anyone know what the deal with this show was?

I saw them a few nights previously at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, and they were cracking, really tight, played super well, new songs sounding good (Jetstream got a good response) and they ended with a massive version of Blue Monday replete with Kylie samples.

I got a bootleg of the show, which confirmed that that was in fact, an excellent show, bad jokes from Bernard and all.

But watching this Hammerstein show....which I am guessing was filmed professionally by the record company with the idea of releasing a DVD ala the 2002 Finsbury Park show...what happened?

The band seemed to be intentionally playing in a hilariously haphazard way , the crowd is dead, the whole show just feels wonky.

Also, the filming and editing of the video is pretty bad.

Lastly, what is the extra gear set up next Phil? This was the only show I ever saw it onstage at. Bernard seems to be making fun of it when they start playing True Faith. "We need a bit of your technology on this one Phil, twiddle those knobs."

What was the deal with this bizarre (played by a band with a long history of charmingly bizarre shows)?
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/11/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2013 09:33:40(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
The filmed gig was shown on TV (Channel 4 i think, from memory, though maybe ITV) here late one night in UK, sometime around 2006? Can't remember now but i recorded it at the time.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ZASmusic  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2013 09:35:41(UTC)
ZASmusic

Yeah I remember that it aired on TV, I think that's where the Youtube rip came from. If I remember, originally it was filmed with the intention of putting it on a double DVD, the Hammersein show coupled with one of the big outdoor shows they did in London that summer Hyde Park..if memory serves, I remember hearing that both gigs ended up being shit though.
tarbox23  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2013 10:31:43(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I was there, May 5th, don't recall any wonkiness at the show. Ran into Nic (NOOL) there as well. And a bunch of Vikings turned up, but I was late finding them at some bar nearby prior.

The only bad part was JET, where they had the chick singing with them, and it just didn't work, seemed like she had stage fright or something.

But the rest of the show was ace. Or maybe it just felt that way, since I hadn't seen New Order live in like 12 years at that point.
Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Who's Joe?  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2013 04:38:06(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I did Kimmel, Oakland, Coachella and then New York. New York was the worst of the four. It was in NYC that I realized something was definitely off with the band dynamic. The crowd was flatter than a pancake (almost like it was a choir performing). I would agree that Jetstream really broke up any shot at building momentum. Maybe it was just an off night, but I remember leaving to jump on the train back to Philly and being a bit disappointed. I took a friend who did not do the CA shows with me and felt like they didn't get the show I had seen. Oakland was brilliant, and I think, it was the last time Crystal was in the encore.
thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/11/2013(UTC)
Aracri  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2013 04:54:06(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
I also never understood the extra gear for Phil on that gig... And the audience looks numb. Anyway, I never liked the set lists of the earlier concerts from that tour. The latter gigs were much better: "These Days", "Shadowplay", the comeback of "TPK" etc...
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/11/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2013 08:15:57(UTC)
ZASmusic

Aracri wrote:
I also never understood the extra gear for Phil on that gig... And the audience looks numb. Anyway, I never liked the set lists of the earlier concerts from that tour. The latter gigs were much better: "These Days", "Shadowplay", the comeback of "TPK" etc...

I agree. The 2006 New Order gigs seemed more intense, focuses, darker. I was watching a video of the Personal Fest gig..that was the last show they did with Hooky...and it seemed like the tension between Bernard and Hooky made it's way into the playing because they played really aggressively.

The Chicago gig was definitely the best of the 95 US gigs so I am glad I saw that one. That being said, the 2012 and 2013 gigs, of which I saw 6 or 7, were better by a country mile.
ROCKET MICK on 26/11/2013(UTC)
johnnyboy  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2013 02:20:38(UTC)
johnnyboy

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
i came over from the UK for the show. Interpol were in the guest area and hooky did a dj aftershow set at a japanese themed hotel where the drink prices were fucking outrageous.

Show was average but thats the beauty of new order.

Also seem to remember only tins of beer available at the show which was very strange?
ELECTRONIC DO NOT USE TAPES
thanks 1 user thanked johnnyboy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/11/2013(UTC)
1981 FACTUS 8 1982  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2013 19:40:02(UTC)
1981 FACTUS 8 1982

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I did my part, mate! I was there. I met up with some NOOLers and had a brilliant time. It was my first time seeing New Order, and while I think the show I attended in Austin this year was very good, I still have a soft spot for the NY show in '05. I even wrote up a review for NOOL the next day...
thanks 1 user thanked 1981 FACTUS 8 1982 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/12/2013(UTC)