logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2013 05:48:16(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://pitchfork.com/new...design-kanye-wests-logo/

Kanye West is a visually astute musician with a very vocal interest in art, design, fashion, and architecture. Now, as Dezeen reports, Kanye has pegged Peter Saville to design his visual identity (logo). Saville is the legendary graphic designer behind Factory Records and, most notably, Joy Division and New Order.

At the Global Design Forum in London, Saville described the collaboration as open-ended and "casual" rather than being an outright commission. "We're looking at ways of writing 'Kanye West,'" he said. "What does 'Kanye' and 'Kanye West' look like written down?"

Kanye talked with Saville about Cassandre's 1961 logo for Yves Saint Laurent. "He said to me: 'You're Cassandre'," Saville said. "He wants a YSL".

Watch Kanye perform "Bound 2" on "Fallon" with Charlie
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Linus Solanki  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2013 05:49:50(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
I detest and Hate cRAP music and I can't stand kanye west or his ghetto influenced music.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2013 13:01:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
I detest and Hate cRAP music and I can't stand kanye west or his ghetto influenced music.

I get where you're coming from, big ego rappers don't do it for me either. But i think Kanye at times comes up with some great music production. This one springs to mind.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2013 14:50:33(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Dreadful.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Andy  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2013 17:06:16(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
...cRAP...

Clever.

I don't appreciate Kanye either, but think you're off base here. He seems to attempt bold, artistic statements rather than rapping about life in a ghetto. Perhaps there are other factors, apart from the music, fueling your hatred.

Edited by user 17 September 2013 17:07:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2013 19:46:44(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:

you think Kanye's music is 'ghetto influenced' ? why would you say that?

i am not a fan, but i would agree with Andy, and think he is a legit artist and has always been pushing sonic boundaries.

i think that working with Saville, as well, shows how visionary both Saville and Kanye are, and how they are willing to both try new approaches to their arts.

you sound very ignorant, Linus. it is pretty silly to condemn an entire branch of music like that. i mean, you actually 'detest and hate' an entire type of music? every single act? even RunDMC and other early pioneers who surely influenced bands like New Order (see, Confusion) ???

yeah, a lot of music is influenced by the 'ghetto' - for instance, dance/techno music, rose up from the clubs in some rough sections of Detroit in the late 70s. So, I suppose New Order is also "ghetto influenced" ? But you like them, I wonder why....

Edited by user 17 September 2013 19:50:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 2 users thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
ersatz01 on 17/09/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
ersatz01  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2013 20:05:16(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
tarbox23 wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:

you think Kanye's music is 'ghetto influenced' ? why would you say that?

i am not a fan, but i would agree with Andy, and think he is a legit artist and has always been pushing sonic boundaries.

i think that working with Saville, as well, shows how visionary both Saville and Kanye are, and how they are willing to both try new approaches to their arts.

you sound very ignorant, Linus. it is pretty silly to condemn an entire branch of music like that. i mean, you actually 'detest and hate' an entire type of music? every single act? even RunDMC and other early pioneers who surely influenced bands like New Order (see, Confusion) ???

yeah, a lot of music is influenced by the 'ghetto' - for instance, dance/techno music, rose up from the clubs in some rough sections of Detroit in the late 70s. So, I suppose New Order is also "ghetto influenced" ? But you like them, I wonder why....

I agree with Andy and Tarbox23 here... and apart from the basic notions that art is subjective, and that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, I personally feel that Kanye's work is impressive. And, perhaps most important, his work makes people happy. Hi

I saw this really great interview of another celebrity a while back, and he asked a really important question about why is there so much hatred towards say Celine Dion. He looked into it and made an important point that maybe you don't listen to Celine Dion (and I do not), still it's important to recognize she has fans, and those fans are made happy because of her talent and hard work.

And, going back to the original post, I think it's great that Peter Saville will be doing work for Kanye, and that Kanye recognizes Saville's work, and wants to employ him. Artists struggle for recognition all the time, and having a client with a lot of fans and the attention like Kanye will give Saville the more recognition and funding that we know he deserves.

thanks 1 user thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2013 01:05:39(UTC)
NotAMod

While I'm admittedly not fond of his music, my main reason for disliking Kanye West is he comes across as a bit of a knob in print. It's a shame because as many of you say if he is truly "pushing the sonic boundaries" then he's doing his music a disservice coming across as such a tool in the media. Anyone who has read an interview with him or seen that Taylor Swift award incident (I don't care for her either) a couple of years ago will know what I mean.

I'm not sure where Linus was going with the "ghetto" inference either but I personally wouldn't judge hip hop or rap by Kanye alone. I'm sure there's plenty of hip hop artists out there who think he's a bit of an egotistical knob as well although they'd articulate it far better than I in rhyme Wink

Goes without saying that it's always good news hearing Saville getting high-profile work as the man's a genius and a nice guy.
EDIT:

Edited by user 18 September 2013 04:35:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tarbox23  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2013 21:06:25(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
NotAMod wrote:
While I'm admittedly not fond of his music, my main reason for disliking Kanye West is he comes across as a bit of a knob in print.

Joy Division and New Order - for many of their best years - also came off as total knobs in print. Hook, in his Joy Division text, even explains why. Does their early arrogance make you not fond of their music?

NotAMod wrote:
he's doing his music a disservice coming across as such a tool in the media.

So, you aren't a big Hooky fan, are ya? ;) Personally, I have always loved the complete artistic confidence and even arrogance that comes across in interviews with stars like Kenya, Hook, Morrissey, et al --- it is punk rock to me. I love reading old New Order interviews from the 80s for the often outrageous Hooky comments.

And, seriously: do Hooky's interviews and recent comments affect how you perceive Joy Division songs? If like me, they do not, then why do you apply that same absurd standard to Kanye's music?

Edited by user 18 September 2013 21:16:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/09/2013(UTC)
NotAMod  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2013 01:32:03(UTC)
NotAMod

tarbox23 wrote:
Personally, I have always loved the complete artistic confidence and even arrogance that comes across in interviews with stars like Kenya, Hook, Morrissey, et al --- it is punk rock to me. I love reading old New Order interviews from the 80s for the often outrageous Hooky comments.

I'd be quite happy not to read any more interviews by Hooky or Morrissey for the foreseeable future, the older days were different because they were (generally) better times for each musician. They've been saying the same thing over and over in interview for years and I don't need to read it a 50th or 60th time; Hooky feels shafted by "New Odour" while Morrissey feels woefully undervalued by record labels. Also, in comparison with their earlier days the wit and laugh-out-loud moments seem to have faded. Maybe it's because of their current bitter circumstance(s), they're getting older or I'm getting older. Or all three. John Lydon's still very entertaining though.

tarbox23 wrote:
And, seriously: do Hooky's interviews and recent comments affect how you perceive Joy Division songs? If like me, they do not, then why do you apply that same absurd standard to Kanye's music?[/size]

Lazy comparison. Joy Division were four people, one of them long deceased and the last time they were active was 33 years ago so why would Hooky's interviews nowadays impact my opinion? I listened to Ian Curtis interviews and he came across as a nice bloke. At worst I think Hooky bangs on about JD a bit much these days but generally I agree with him, they were a great band. Kanye West is one person very much writing and recording in the here and now so what he says impacts what people might think of him here and now. It's not an "absurd standard" it's a perfectly viable barometer for someone to gauge whether they should get into a musician's work or not.

We agree that a bit of cockiness and entertainment in interview is exciting but the trick is to intersperse it with some humour, wit and a dash of humility. If you've got proper charisma you can get away with saying outrageous things and people still like you; something New Order, Morrissey, John Lydon, Anthony H. Wilson etc generally do/did very well. West never has, it's just unchecked ego running a mock hence why South Park felt it necessary to take him down a peg or two. I bet he fucking hated it too.

Anyway this topic's veered way off course already. Nice sparring, Tarbox Smile

Edited by user 19 September 2013 02:23:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#11 Posted : 19 September 2013 23:29:35(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Quote:

Kanye West is a visually astute musician

Is that like being an aesthetically relevant plumber?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2013(UTC)