logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
uberpsycho  
#26 Posted : 04 September 2013 16:40:51(UTC)
uberpsycho

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Quote:
Todd: In retrospect, do you wish that the production on the album had been done differently? What would you have done that Martin didn’t do?

Peter: I think the album still sounds great – which is a real compliment to the band and to Martin, after all this time. So in that respect I wouldn’t want to change anything in terms of the production of it. But I guess with the benefit of hindsight I would make some changes to the recording process I suppose. Martin took Ian’s death extremely badly, which of course is fair enough, we all did too, but Martin really loved Ian and the way Ian worked. To him, Ian was the genius and the rest of us were the idiots. So when it came to recording Movement with all of the idiots and no genius, he made things quite difficult. Mainly this was because he absolutely hated the idea of either me, Barney or Steve singing anything. He thought we were all rubbish singers, which was a fair comment I suppose! I think it’s for this reason that the vocals on Movement are very tentative and quite shy sounding, Martin didn’t believe in the vocals enough to give them a proper representation. I understand all this now but at the time it was not an easy environment to work in.

I wonder if Hook is exaggerating this bit.

No offense to all the great lyricists out there, but you could be friggin' Shakespeare but if you're in a rock band and the music stinks I don't think anyone is going to give a damn about what you're saying...
Join our World and play our game...
thanks 1 user thanked uberpsycho for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#27 Posted : 04 September 2013 23:51:28(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
There was an interview with BS and PH in the NME about the making of UP (I speak in codes. Not very oblique one though) and it really did give the impression it was essentially Martin and Ian's baby. It seemed like B/H were more into rocking out, they couldn't hear the words, and going to the pub while Martin got nutsy in the studio. I don't know of course, but I remember thinking it came across that way.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2013(UTC)
Jailbait Spider  
#28 Posted : 05 September 2013 11:41:54(UTC)
Jailbait Spider

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Jack wrote:
Jailbait Spider wrote:
"I get messages all the time from people that, 'I went to see New Order, and you weren't there.'"

Yeah, alright. Dream on, Hooky.

Just feeling compelled to say that as a guy who has access to his social network pages, I can confirm that this still happens. A lot. Especially in America. Whether people believe/like it or not. Tongue

I believe in you, and I bet these same people also complained about New Order not performing their major hits: In Between Days and Enjoy The Silence. Big Grin
"It depends on the age of consent" - Pervert Sumner
thanks 2 users thanked Jailbait Spider for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2013(UTC), Tim on 06/09/2013(UTC)
Tim  
#29 Posted : 06 September 2013 11:02:32(UTC)
Tim

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 157 post(s)
If you want to hear an example of Hooky not playing the bass the right way to one of his own basslines, have a listen to Leave Me Alone at Gloucester 1984!!

http://www.new-order.net...Leave_Me_Alone_intro.mp3

At the end of the day, Tom is changing some of the iconic bass riffs slightly. No reason why he shouldn't. He's not in a tribute band, and after all most bits of many of the songs are a but different to how they are on record. No reason why he should look to emulate Hooky's sound either. Most of the songs that Hooky used the Shergold on didn't need a six string bass, but its unique tone suited how Hooky wanted them to sound. Fair play to Tom for not feeling the need to use a Shergold, and for feeling confident enough to do it his way.

Edited by user 06 September 2013 12:44:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

an old monkey...
thanks 2 users thanked Tim for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 06/09/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2013(UTC)
spooky  
#30 Posted : 08 September 2013 09:25:23(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Jack wrote:
Jailbait Spider wrote:
"I get messages all the time from people that, 'I went to see New Order, and you weren't there.'"

Yeah, alright. Dream on, Hooky.

Just feeling compelled to say that as a guy who has access to his social network pages, I can confirm that this still happens. A lot. Especially in America. Whether people believe/like it or not. Tongue

oh i belive this 100% because i've heard similar stories with other bands. years ago, i had a older co-worker who was excited to go see Journey(when Steve Augeri was still with them). i told him not to waste his time cause Perry wasn't with them anymore. however, he didn't listen and got the shock of his life when they stepped out on stage. he was complaining to his buddies, "who the f*ck is this guy?!"
thanks 1 user thanked spooky for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#31 Posted : 08 September 2013 16:42:08(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Tim wrote:
If you want to hear an example of Hooky not playing the bass the right way to one of his own basslines, have a listen to Leave Me Alone at Gloucester 1984!!

http://www.new-order.net...Leave_Me_Alone_intro.mp3

At the end of the day, Tom is changing some of the iconic bass riffs slightly. No reason why he shouldn't. He's not in a tribute band, and after all most bits of many of the songs are a but different to how they are on record. No reason why he should look to emulate Hooky's sound either. Most of the songs that Hooky used the Shergold on didn't need a six string bass, but its unique tone suited how Hooky wanted them to sound. Fair play to Tom for not feeling the need to use a Shergold, and for feeling confident enough to do it his way.

Agreed. Even if he doesn't use a Shergold it doesn't matter. If Tom was using a 6 string, I bet there'd be criticism then too!
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#32 Posted : 09 September 2013 04:03:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Tom's in a no-win situation: emulate Hooky and he's accused of copy-catting, play differently and they're accused of losing the distinctive sound.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.