logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2013 05:42:47(UTC)
Bill

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
What's so good about it? Someone help me out 'ere please.

Listened in full twice to the free stream on iTunes.I was expecting something different and, granted, they have indeed done that.The trouble is it's crap.Sounds like generic session musician noodling and tired & dated vocoder vocals.And a crap Knight Rider type thing (on Georgio By Moroder).Dull and boring.If they didn't have that stupid helmets gimmick nobody would take any notice of them. Thanks, iTunes, you've saved me some money.TWAT Punk

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 17 May 2013 05:58:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/05/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:25:33(UTC)
Bill

Man

OK, let's start again.I now like it.Persevered with it over the last 24 hours.I guess it's maybe a concept album that requires a bit of work to "get". The way in for me was getting my head around 2 songs in particular that you might call the centerpieces of the album- Lose Yourself To Dance and Touch.Lose Yourself To Dance i'd previously disliked because at first it sounded to my ears like session musician drivel but the low, fat groove and incessant Nile Rodgers guitar burrows into your brain.Touch has everything including the kitchen sink in, this guy Paul Williams who i don't know anything about gives a vocal like something out of a musical and there's a choir bit where they're singing "hold on, if love is the answer you're home" which is actually, well, touching.A couple of slow sad numbers here and there also (Game Of Love and Within) which are lovely and chilled, one or two fillers (Motherboard being one) but the last 3 songs i now really like - Fragments Of Time, Doin' It Right and Contact. On Contact the music is accelerating out of control and out of universe before crashing and burning into white static noise at the album's close (ok i may have have nicked that description of the track from some review but i thought it described it better than i could).

Lots of live drumming throughout the album which really carry and propel a lot of the songs along.

It's a bold album and quite a leap forward that requires a fair few listens but i'm liking it.

Edited by user 18 May 2013 14:10:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 18/05/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2013 22:21:09(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Make your sodding mind up.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/05/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2013 04:11:46(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
thats the trouble with forming impressions after only a couple of listens. some songs lend themselves to requiring numourous listens before they make sense and/or imbed them selves within the brain.

its the biggest u-turn in an albums review ive ever read!!!!

maybe tomorrow you will still like it?
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Bill  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2013 05:32:13(UTC)
Bill

Man

Coops wrote:
Make your sodding mind up.

No my mind's made up, i like the album.I might even buy the vinyl edition of it, it'd be nice to have that.God knows what some of the thousands that bought Get Lucky and made it No.1 in the UK will make of the album if they buy it hoping for 13 variations of that song though.What on earth will they make of a song like Touch? Or maybe i'm underestimating them though.The album is apparently odds on to become the fastest selling album in the uk ever, beating Oasis's Be Here Now .

Edited by user 20 May 2013 05:38:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bloodynora  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2013 12:10:30(UTC)
bloodynora

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2013 13:19:30(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
For me Random Access Memories is neither as bad or as good as it could have been. But it has enough about it to make it intriguing.

The whole album is not so much Back To The Future as Back to the Past, with the 1970's and 80's as the reference points. 'Game Of Love' and 'Within' could have been lifted from a vocodered soul/R&B album from the mid to late 80's, whilst the 70's disco sound is glaringly obvious on 'Give Life Back to Music', 'Lose Yourself to Dance' and 'Get Lucky'. Incidentally 'Lose Yourself To Dance' is easily my favourite of those three pure disco tracks. It sounds like a simple slow disco groove with some Nile Rogers guitar at first listen. But slowly it gets the head nodding and then the rest of you, and before you know it you're hitting repeat. Addictive like cheap candy.
Instant Crush is...weird. Considering Julian Casablancas is on vocals you have to say, well done to them for not sounding anything like The Strokes. But at the same time, I think I prefer The Strokes!
'Beyond' sounds like it could have been on Jacko's Thriller album - as one of the tracks that might not have been considered good enough to be a single.
'Fragments of Time' - ugh I can't stand this track. Billboard magazine says it sounds like the theme tune to a great 80's sitcom. I think it sounds like the theme tune to a cancelled 80's sitcom. Horrible.
Besides the aforementioned LYTD there are three other gems that make this album worth a listen namely 'Touch', 'Giorgio By Moroder' and 'Contact'.

Touch is probably the most daring and original thing on here; a collab with Paul Williams who is best known for co-writing Barbra Streisand songs and the kind of stuff that ends up in Broadway musicals. He's 72 years old and he sounds every day of those 72 years on this track, his voice frail and past its best. But as the track surges into a second-half repeated chorus, it just takes off. Not what you would expect from Daft Punk.
Giorgio By Moroder is another nod to the 70's but this time it's an acknowledgement of the man who brought us arpeggiated synths and who had such a huge impact on electronic music (Daft Punk included). Nice to hear the man talking about his life in music in the first half of the track, and then it eventually turns into something we would recognise as Morodor in the second half. Too bad about the jazzy bit in the middle though.
'Contact' is perhaps most recognisable as Daft Punk. It's actually a re-working of a track they did with DJ Falcon a while ago (which can be found on youtube). But here they have added fantastic live drums and an ending that shoots the Daft Punk time machine into hyper space. Even this track is actually a nod to the 80's as it samples and loops the intro to The Sherbs We Ride Tonight from 1982. I think this is the only track on the album that I wish went on longer than it does.

So overall, an imperfect album with some really interesting high points. But its' all done with a big dollop of French cheese.
Some clever bugger has imagined which TV shows and films would go with a selection of the albums tracks. This is worth a watch before someone gets it deleted from youtube. Not all the tracks are represented here.

Edited by user 20 May 2013 13:24:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Bill  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2013 14:09:45(UTC)
Bill

Man

Good review, Debaser.Though i disagree re Fragments Of Time, i rate that one. Clicked your links- yeah interesting to find they sampled that Sherbs intro on Contact. The tv and films imagined to the album's songs is a good find.Knight Rider for Giorgio By Moroder is obvious but one or two others i thought were clever.Is that True Blood for Game Of Love? Would never have made that connection.Not a massive fan of the Giorgio By Moroder track but then i was never a big fan of Knight Rider or indeed Giorgio Moroder.

Contact is superb.Over 6 minutes long but that still seems nowhere even nearly long enough.

Edited by user 20 May 2013 14:17:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 21/05/2013(UTC)
ersatz01  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2013 21:52:11(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Factory™ wrote:
Not a massive fan of the Giorgio By Moroder track but then i was never a big fan of Knight Rider or indeed Giorgio Moroder.

If not a "massive" fan, can you just be a little fan? Haha... I'm kidding, but I've never understood why "massive" is used so often in this way.

I actually like Giorgio By Moroder a lot. And, I like the album a lot. One thing interesting about Daft Punk is that until that phenomenal 2006/2007 tour, their albums seem to be regarded as more eclectic than stompers. That is, until they showed up with that pyramid a blew out everyone's brains at Coachella and from then on, I think everyone's expectations ran high.

I totally get what they are trying to do with RAM, fast and slow. It works. If they tour it, it might be a band than a pyramid, I think.

thanks 1 user thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
Bill  
#10 Posted : 21 May 2013 06:22:44(UTC)
Bill

Man

ersatz01 wrote:
Factory™ wrote:
Not a massive fan of the Giorgio By Moroder track but then i was never a big fan of Knight Rider or indeed Giorgio Moroder.

If not a "massive" fan, can you just be a little fan? Haha... I'm kidding, but I've never understood why "massive" is used so often in this way.I actually like Giorgio By Moroder a lot.

lol Yeah i do seem to be using that phrase a lot lately, against my better judgement. The way i see it i usually mean when i say it that i'm not a fan at all of the subject in question.I think the reason i'm not a fan of Giorgio Moroder is because i first became aware of him back in the 80s when he did that awful Electric Dreams song with Phil Oakey. That must have put me off him for life without giving a chance to hear or investigate more of his stuff.Oh well.

ersatz01 wrote:

One thing interesting about Daft Punk is that until that phenomenal 2006/2007 tour, their albums seem to be regarded as more eclectic than stompers. That is, until they showed up with that pyramid a blew out everyone's brains at Coachella and from then on, I think everyone's expectations ran high.

I totally get what they are trying to do with RAM, fast and slow. It works. If they tour it, it might be a band than a pyramid, I think.

Kind of lost track of Daft Punk after their Discovery album in 2000. Dug out their first album Homework yesterday, first listen to it i think since i played it a fair bit in the late nineties.Teachers, Burnin and Alive still sounding good. I really don't know why i didn't keep up with them with their later stuff. Apparently the Alive and Alive 2007 live albums are very good? Have never even heard their Human After All album.I read that Romanthony, who was the vocalist on Daft Punk's One More Time song, died a few days ago

Edited by user 21 May 2013 06:25:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bloodynora  
#11 Posted : 21 May 2013 06:37:29(UTC)
bloodynora

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)
Factory™ wrote:
that awful Electric Dreams song with Phil Oakey.

exsqueeze me?
thanks 1 user thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
Bill  
#12 Posted : 21 May 2013 06:43:26(UTC)
Bill

Man

bloodynora wrote:
Factory™ wrote:
that awful Electric Dreams song with Phil Oakey.

exsqueeze me?

I dunno. i just always found it a bit sickly :shrug:
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 13 August 2013 14:08:09(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
Lose Yourself To Dance has been announced as the next single to be taken from the now huge Random Access Memories.
There's no official video yet, but this must be one of the most impressive non-official videos I have ever come across. Worth a watch in HD, full screen.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/08/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#14 Posted : 13 August 2013 21:07:51(UTC)
Bill

Man

Aye, a clever video that. Nice touch with the Studio 54 doors.Good find.

Had long assumed Lose Yourself To Dance would be a single as when i bought the album on vinyl when it was released the sticker on the front said "Feat. Get Lucky & Lose Yourself To Dance"

Edited by user 13 August 2013 21:20:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 14/08/2013(UTC)