logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bloodynora  
#26 Posted : 12 November 2012 08:59:49(UTC)
bloodynora

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)
Thanks But No Thanks wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:

"Attack the Block" was surprisingly good. The aliens were absolutely brilliant.

"Kill List" is a horrendous film. Not sure whether I liked it or not. A bit unnecessarily nasty in places, especially towards the end, but clever nevertheless. Reminded me of when I first watched "Eden Lake" - it got to the end and I just felt utterly drained by it. Very, very dark.

Caught up on some of these at the weekend. Attack The Block was alright but didn't do an awful lot for me, a bit meh for me i'm afraid. Dead Man's Shoes was good but not as good as i'd thought it'd be somehow, not sure why. Kill List was probably the best of the lot for me. Yeah kind of agree with the Eden Lake comparison, left me feeling similar to when i watched that. Wasn't expecting the PLOT SPOILER ALERT twist into the occult/ sacrificial ritual stuff! Didn't see that one coming, thought it'd just be a straightforward hitmen killing people affair. Reminded me a bit of Eyes Wide Shut the way it suddenly went into the dark occult stuff out of the blue. Kind of guessed it was his son he was unknowingly stabbing to death before it was revealed

i loved attack the block. it's a while since i saw it so couldn't tell you exactly why, but if memory serves it was a good mix of silly and jumpy and heartwarming and well-made/acted/written. it's probably not ground-breaking, but it's nice to see a relatively accurate portrayal of british teenagers.

never seen kill list (or eden lake) - not my cup of tea. my youngest brother and elder son watched it here recently and raved about it, but agreed i should probably give it a miss.

Edited by user 12 November 2012 09:02:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2012(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 19/11/2012(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#27 Posted : 12 November 2012 09:05:46(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
bloodynora wrote:
never seen kill list (or eden lake) - not my cup of tea. my youngest brother and elder son watched it here recently and raved about it, but agreed i should probably give it a miss.

Both are fairly horrific.

More so, cos they're embedded in 'realism' and are not just your average horror movie with spooks and ghouls which you know are pure fantasy.

Both leave you very cold as well - not a glimmer of 'hope' in either movie.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2012(UTC)
bloodynora  
#28 Posted : 12 November 2012 09:20:07(UTC)
bloodynora

Dead Man's Shoes was good but not as good as i'd thought it'd be somehow, not sure why.

there's something oddly sentimental about it, a bit cliched - a modern morality tale. does it lose a slight edge because we are in no doubt that paddy is an avenging angel and will prevail?

(shane m is rather given to sentimental morality and daddy issues, beneath the scum and skinheads, i find.)

Edited by user 30 December 2012 20:05:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2012(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 19/11/2012(UTC)
bloodynora  
#29 Posted : 12 November 2012 09:50:00(UTC)
bloodynora

El Jarvo wrote:
bloodynora wrote:

More so, cos they're embedded in 'realism' and are not just your average horror movie with spooks and ghouls which you know are pure fantasy.

i don't watch horror as a rule, and when i have they've not seemed very scary - just gory or (as you say) far-fetched, and invariably with paper thin characters.

that said, there are exceptions - let the right one in is a wonderful film, and i loved 28 days later and invasion of the body snatchers. the original wicker man disturbed me for a very long time. but i have 'the shining' currently sitting waiting for me to watch, and though i've got it as far as the dvd drive a couple of times, i've still not managed to press play...
thanks 1 user thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/12/2015(UTC)
edspess  
#30 Posted : 12 November 2012 10:10:52(UTC)
edspess

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Watch The Shining IMMEDIATELY, go on. Do it now.
thanks 1 user thanked edspess for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2012(UTC)
Bill  
#31 Posted : 12 November 2012 12:09:06(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
bloodynora wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:

"Attack the Block" was surprisingly good. The aliens were absolutely brilliant.

"Kill List" is a horrendous film. Not sure whether I liked it or not. A bit unnecessarily nasty in places, especially towards the end, but clever nevertheless. Reminded me of when I first watched "Eden Lake" - it got to the end and I just felt utterly drained by it. Very, very dark.

Caught up on some of these at the weekend. Attack The Block was alright but didn't do an awful lot for me, a bit meh for me i'm afraid. Dead Man's Shoes was good but not as good as i'd thought it'd be somehow, not sure why. Kill List was probably the best of the lot for me. Yeah kind of agree with the Eden Lake comparison, left me feeling similar to when i watched that. Wasn't expecting the PLOT SPOILER ALERT twist into the occult/ sacrificial ritual stuff! Didn't see that one coming, thought it'd just be a straightforward hitmen killing people affair. Reminded me a bit of Eyes Wide Shut the way it suddenly went into the dark occult stuff out of the blue. Kind of guessed it was his son he was unknowingly stabbing to death before it was revealed

i loved attack the block. it's a while since i saw it so couldn't tell you exactly why, but if memory serves it was a good mix of silly and jumpy and heartwarming and well-made/acted/written. it's probably not ground-breaking, but it's nice to see a relatively accurate portrayal of british teenagers.

Yes i agree Attack The Block was well made and yeah it is a relatively accurate portrayal of the British teenagers , i dunno, it's good fun but not a film i'd bother watching again.

Other films people have mentioned above, The Shining i was really mesmerised by when i first watched it back in the 80s, really chilling. 28 Days Later is great but i rank 28 Weeks Later as even better. Would love it if they did another one ( 28 Months Later?)

Oh and Let The Right One In was pretty good yeah (the original Scandinavian version, didn't bother with the remake)

Edited by user 12 November 2012 12:23:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2012(UTC)
Bill  
#32 Posted : 12 November 2012 12:21:50(UTC)
Bill

Man

El Jarvo wrote:
bloodynora wrote:

Think it was the realism i found most scary in Kill List! The crushingly ordinary home life etc

Debaser  
#33 Posted : 12 November 2012 14:46:55(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:

That's what I didnt like about Blair Witch Project. I was prepared to accept the premise, but it was just bleak with no room for humour or fun, and no hope at the end.

Now a horror film that was (eventually) released in 2012 that had it's tongue firmly in it's cheek was The Cabin In The Woods. It starts out as a seemingly formualic film about some American 'kids' going to a remote cabin... so far so zzzz. But then it takes some unexpected turns. By the end of the film it has gone from predictable to highly original, and may even leave you with a smile on your face. Lots of fun.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Debaser  
#34 Posted : 12 November 2012 14:58:00(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
edspess wrote:

If you dont watch ths one, Johnny's gonna come and get you.

Edited by user 12 November 2012 14:59:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
bloodynora  
#35 Posted : 12 November 2012 14:58:49(UTC)
bloodynora

edspess wrote:

I DAREN'T Frown
bloodynora  
#36 Posted : 12 November 2012 15:08:06(UTC)
bloodynora

Debaser wrote:

That's what I didnt like about Blair Witch Project. I was prepared to accept the premise, but it was just bleak with no room for humour or fun, and no hope at the end.

Now a horror film that was (eventually) released in 2012 that had it's tongue firmly in it's cheek was The Cabin In The Woods. It starts out as a seemingly formualic film about some American 'kids' going to a remote cabin... so far so zzzz. But then it takes some unexpected turns. By the end of the film it has gone from predictable to highly original, and may even leave you with a smile on your face. Lots of fun.

blair witch was RUBBISH. apart from the last minute or so (those final images are a touch haunting, granted). the best bit is when she's doing her big "i'm-sorry-everyone's-mum" speech and she has a dribble of snot on her nose. ha!

but i was not wildly impressed by the cabin in the woods, either. i did quite enjoy it, and it was probably a victim of all the "THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!!!" type reviews i'd seen/heard. but as i said elsewhere, i did think it was a bit too busy being clever-clever and fanboy geeky. and there weren't really any ideas i'd not seen already explored on buffy - and that was ten years ago.
Bill  
#37 Posted : 13 November 2012 07:17:24(UTC)
Bill

Man

Debaser wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:

But the turns weren't unexpected though. We were introduced to the control room early on in the film weren't we? So we knew it wasn't your straightforward American kids in the woods fighting zombies and ghouls and stuff. They should have revealed the kids were all being controlled and set up at the end of the film to truly surprise us, no? Still, i did enjoy the film
Bill  
#38 Posted : 19 November 2012 08:27:39(UTC)
Bill

Man

bloodynora wrote:

loads of good stuff on[/url] in the next week or so, inc tyrannosaur, weekend, kill list, don't look now, and submarine (which is BRILLIANT).

Watched Don't Look Now at the weekend. Nope, had never seen it i'm sure. Yeah it was really good, it's good to watch an old film now and then. That sense of you don't know which way the film's going to go and who is going to die but you know someone will.Great acting by Sutherland and Julie Christie ( wow she was an attractive woman). The way the small evil woman is facing the corner of the room at the end reminded me a bit of The Blair Witch Project ( didn't the witch make her intended victims stand in the corner facing the wall in that? Though in this case it's the killer in the corner not the victim) A good analysis of Don't Look Now on Wiki

Edited by user 19 November 2012 08:29:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 19/11/2012(UTC)
Coops  
#39 Posted : 27 June 2013 01:31:19(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/07/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 11/06/4751 00:04:25(UTC) abdulalim  
#40 Posted : 29 June 2013 00:14:03(UTC)
abdulalim

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
pictures for weddings
For the wedding mobile app you should connect with the online website so that you always have your plans available at the touch of a button. The features that you love on site are also available through the apps. Features like countdowns and reminders so that you do not miss schedules or expenses.
thanks 1 user thanked abdulalim for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/07/2013(UTC)