logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#76 Posted : 14 September 2024 10:24:18(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3166 time(s) in 2183 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
I have never heard New Order play anything off Movement at the gigs I attended. In fact, the one and only time they delivered the material on the first album onstage in Japan is Denial at the Tokyo show, May 1st, 1985 — their Japanese debut.

By the time they released PC&L, the group seems to have grown weary of Movement. They may regard it as a product of the transitional period from JD to NO, perhaps.

I heard Revenge play Dreams Never End for the encore in Osaka, January 30th, 1991, though. And Hooky & The Light performed the whole Movement and PC&L albums at Manchester Cathedral on January 18th, 2013, which I attended.

I've not heard anything from Movement live either. But that's likely due to not seeing them until 1987. At least "Ceremony" still gets regular outings. When you consider the success of "Temptation" (not necessarily commercially) in forging a new direction, you can understand why they left so many of those early tracks in the past. I maintain "Chosen Time" would be the best candidate for a modern rework, but theres so many later tracks to choose from, why would they bother?

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 14/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#77 Posted : 14 September 2024 12:07:02(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I have never heard New Order play anything off Movement at the gigs I attended. In fact, the one and only time they delivered the material on the first album onstage in Japan is Denial at the Tokyo show, May 1st, 1985 — their Japanese debut.

By the time they released PC&L, the group seems to have grown weary of Movement. They may regard it as a product of the transitional period from JD to NO, perhaps.

I heard Revenge play Dreams Never End for the encore in Osaka, January 30th, 1991, though. And Hooky & The Light performed the whole Movement and PC&L albums at Manchester Cathedral on January 18th, 2013, which I attended.

I've not heard anything from Movement live either. But that's likely due to not seeing them until 1987. At least "Ceremony" still gets regular outings. When you consider the success of "Temptation" (not necessarily commercially) in forging a new direction, you can understand why they left so many of those early tracks in the past. I maintain "Chosen Time" would be the best candidate for a modern rework, but theres so many later tracks to choose from, why would they bother?

My first New Order concert was Osaka 1985. The frequency they played the songs on Movement had already dropped considerably in 1983.

Maybe they felt like distancing themselves from the album’s “JD sans Ian Curtis” vibe once they established a new identity and direction with Temptation and PC&L, while keeping Ceremony and In A Lonely Place as the almost only testimonies of their connection with the past.

https://www.setlist.fm/s.../new-order-63d6b237.html

tapebias  
#78 Posted : 14 September 2024 12:26:04(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

My first New Order concert was Osaka 1985. The frequency they played the songs on Movement had already dropped considerably in 1983.

Maybe they felt like distancing themselves from the album’s “JD sans Ian Curtis” vibe once they established a new identity and direction with Temptation and PC&L, while keeping Ceremony and In A Lonely Place as the almost only testimonies of their connection with the past.

https://www.setlist.fm/s.../new-order-63d6b237.html

Chosen Time is my fav from Movement, I can live without the rest. There were so many other better songs they had that could have been on Movement such as C&W/Mesh/Procession. I though it was cool at the time not to put singles/B sides on albums but Movement would have been much better with the B sides rather than the samey dirges that ended up on it.